Permanent exhibition

How did locals manage to adapt to the rugged land of Mani and how were they able to tame stone that was abundant in the area? By what means were they able to produce local products?

What were the reasons that led to the construction of architectural monuments such as the Girls’ School, the lighthouses and the battle towers?

Which places do locals consider to be distinguished and why?

Which are the most important monuments of Mani? What can visitors see and do?

In their efforts to ensure the basics for survival, people in Mani made the best of the stone landscape, developing rural economy (primary sector) in an amazing way.

Besides that, with the establishment of the modern Greek state, and in a period of great social and economic change, the city of Gytheio, due to its port, became the centre of commercial activity of Laconia. Therefore, a large number of people were employed in small industries (the secondary sector). At the same time, due to social and economic changes there was a pressing need for education for the young population. Erected in 1896, the Girls’ School is a symbol of this period.

In the 1970s, the Greek state recognized the uniqueness of the architectural and natural heritage of Mani and started supporting the touristic development of the area. The village of Vathia was reconstructed and became a living museum, while at the same time other places of touristic interest such as Gerolimenas, Areopolis and the land part of Diros Caves were promoted. Today, a large number of residents are employed in the tourist industry (tertiary sector).

The Cultural Centre presents the development of Mani by exploring the transition from old fashioned to modern time business activities.